Monday 11 March 2013

Another Scottish Double Header - Part 2 Aberdeen

I awoke in my Premier Inn bed after a neigh on eleven hour sleep feeling as fresh as a daisy and ready for my long day ahead.

I was dressed, checked out and heading to Greggs the bakers for 11.15am before taking the slow 10 minute walk towards Pittodrie for today's 12.30pm kick off. Today's the Dons would be entertaining Hibs. This would be the 2nd time I had seen these teams against each other in the last 10 months, the last time being at Hampden Park for the 2012 Scottish Cup Semi Final that Hibs won 2-1, here's hoping today's game would be as exciting. Having seen 2 goals at Tannadice the day before albeit in a dire game I was hoping for a much improved SPL match.

The walk from the City Centre to Pittodrie could not be any easier with one road running from the corner of Union St, along King St and into Pittodrie St. I stopped off at the inviting Pittodrie Bar and soaked up the pre match atmosphere with a pint of Belhaven's Best.

My pint finished I headed to the ground with 20 minutes to kick off, the crowd was growly nicely and upon arrival at Pittodrie it was a hive of activity. I take a couple of snaps and then headed off to the club shop.




With 5 minutes to kick off I paid my £23.00 and entered the ground at the Merkland Road entrance bringing me on the South Stand which is now an all seated and most covered area running the length of the pitch opposite the old fashioned Main Stand. The impressive Richard Donald stand faces the Merkland Family Stand behind each goal. This stand is named after the late chairman Mr Richard Donald with seating for just over 6,000 it also has 12 executive boxes. A little fact for you now this was the first all-seated stadium in Britain.



On a bitterly cold afternoon I choose a seat halfway up the terracing but not far enough up to be sheltered from the cold...it was blinking freezing, much colder than Dundee the day before.

The game started and it was clear from the off that this was going to be a close game and of few chances, the pitch appearing to be bobbly. Leigh Griffiths's every touch was greeted with boos, why I am unsure I know it's a t**t and can easily be targeted as a hate figure for the opposing fans but unsure if the booing stemmed from anything more than this!

The game ebbed and flowed with Aberdeen having plenty of success down the left with Peter Pawlett and Jonny Hayes probing and prodding. In the 11th minute Aberdeen should of taken the lead when after Tim Clancy had brought Johnny Hayes down in the box, Niall McGinn's penalty was well saved by Hibs keeper Ben Williams.




10 minutes later and Joe Shaughnessy sent in a looping header for Pawlett to head towards goal but the ball drifted over the top of the Hibs crossbar.

As the half wore off Gavin Rae was pulling the strings in the middle for the Dons. On the half hour mark Hayes had a good chance from the edge of the Hibs box but took a fresh-air swipe at the ball & the momentum was lost. Ben Williams then pulled off a superb save to keep the score level on the stroke of half time from a Robertson effort that came from outside the box.

By now even though I was well wrapped up the tiredness was kicking in from the day before and I was freezing, with the North Sea coming in behind the stand to the right there was nowhere to hide from the wind.

The 2nd half started pretty much as the first ended by the Dons could not find a breakthrough, though Leigh Griffiths could have opened the scoring for the visitors when he broke free inside the Dons penalty area but hesitated and failed to make more of the effort as Jamie Langfield smothered the ball. Aberdeen then responded with a sustained period of possession & pressure that failed to produce an opener, although Rae should have done better with a close-range effort after good work down the wing. Then on 60 minutes Isaac Osbourne unleashed a shot towards the Hibs goal that drifted wide, before Shaughnessy forced a save out of Williams with a pile driver of his own.

The last half and hour drifted by with both teams creating chances but none worthy of winning this game and the referee blew to signal a 0-0 draw the home fans were not amused.

I headed out of Pittodrie towards the University for a couple of pints in the St Machar Bar. A lovely little bar sat at the top end of the University in a real picturesque part of town. I watched the first half of the St Mirren vs Celtic League Cup Semi Final and left at half time to head back to town for food. On arrival back into town I went in the Wig & gown for a pint and some grub, but even though the menu stated food served everyday the girl behind the bar informed they don’t serve food at weekends! I stopped here and watched the match with a big grin on my face as St Mirren knocked Celtic out to claim a place in the cup final.

After a quick pit stop at KFC I made my way down Union St before stopping for a pint in The Howff, a locals bar hidden downstairs from the shopping High St. My bus was due at 18.30 for me to make a pit stop in the Wetherspoons @ the airport before my flight at 20.40.

My last beer in Aberdeen was a stunning strong number in the Brew Dog bar on Gallowgate before a short walk to the bus stop for the airport bus. All had gone extremely well this weekend until I arrived at the airport to find that my plane had been delayed for an hour and half! Oh well at least I could stay in the Wetherspoons until my flight was called, wrong! Halfway through my 2nd pint at exactly 20.30 one of the staff came round to say the bar was closing, oh dear what a pain. The flight actually departed around 21.45 so not as late as first expected but this got my back into Gatwick once my last train had left from East Croydon meaning I either went into London Bridge and came out again or I forked out for a taxi from East Croydon back home, I chose this option and by 01.15am I was back home after a cracking but long weekend.

In summary my latest weekend to Scotland had me take in 2 games, 2 new grounds, I saw 2 goals, drank in 16 new pubs and 17 new beers not a bad weekend!

Til the next time
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive