Saturday 2 February 2013

Another Scottish Double Header - Part 1 Dundee United

Back in early December I looked at the Scottish fixtures to see if there were any decent games I could make for a day trip, so imagine my surprise when I saw that Aberdeen were hosting Hibs on a Sunday at the end of Jan and that the day before Dundee United were to play Ross County both in the SPL, 2 new grounds for me.

Easyjet return from Gatwick and a night in Aberdeen at the Premier Inn was quickly booked.

A few frantic days before Saturday ensured as snow battered the UK and football games were postponed left right and centre. The morning of my flight came and after roping the wife in to driving me to East Croydon station for a train to Gatwick I arrived in Aberdeen at 8.40am as planned, and boy was there snow about!

The airport bus into town had me plotted up in the Archibald Simpson (Spoons) pub and a breakfast inside me by 10am. I chanced my arm at the hotel that I could check in early but to no avail so off I went to pub number 2, Aitchies Ale House near the station. Cracking little pub and after a very good dark beer and a chat with a couple of patrons I was off to catch the 11.43 train to Dundee.

This was this furthest north I had been so I spent the train journey watching the scenery go by as the train stopped at Montrose & Arbroath before arriving into Dundee just before 12.50pm. Off I went to the first of the four pubs I wanted to tick off from the good beer guide.

First port of call was The Phoenix Bar on Nethergate, a real decent bar that was pretty full, from here it was off to Dukes Corner, a huge bar and restaurant just laying back from the main road. I then made me way to the bus stop for the 10 minute journey to Tannadice Street. I have been to both Dens Park & Tannadice twice before but have never seen  a game at either ground.



With snow covering the pavements all the fans making their way to the match were treading very carefully, though United had cleared all snow around the entrances. I paid my £19.00 and entered the Eddie Thompson stand lower tier. The ground was slowly filling up which gave me time to take a couple of snaps of the stands.


3 of the stands look a lot newer than the Jim Mclean stand that runs down the length of the pitch and acts as the Main Stand with some executive boxes. My view from the Eddie Thompson stand was perfect even though I prefer to watch my football from the side of the pitch and not from behind the goals. Really not a lot to say about the game, certainly not in the 1st half which ended 0-0 with the closest either team coming to a goal was when Gavin Gunning's close-range header from a Barry Douglas free-kick hit the side netting for the hosts in the first minute.

Into the 2nd half and the game improved slightly (not really by much) with the hosts pushing for a goal and this duly came on 52 minutes when  a good passage of play between captain Daly & the diminutive Johnny Russell resulted in a 20 yard curler into the keepers right hand side by Gary Mackay Steven, 1-0 to the Arabs. From here they kicked on for a 2nd but they almost paid the ultimate price when Ivan Sproule fresh from he's 2 goal salvo in Paisley the week before burst through and from just 8 yards out passed a weak effort towards goal that Cierzniak palmed away for a corner.

Another effort from Sproule then followed as both teams opened up slightly, still this was a poor advert for the SPL. Then on 82 minutes following good work down United's left Ross County's captain and really their best player by a long chalk Richard Brittan popped up with a 20 yard screamer that left the United custodian with no a hope of keeping it out of the net 1-1. The remaining time was played out with the Arabs pushing and Ross settling for a point and the whistle blew on 94 minutes to a chorus of boos aimed at Peter Houston and he's management team from the home faithful. 1-1 the final score and within 5 minutes I was back on the bus into town for just over an 90 minutes worth of drinking before my train left for the Granite city.

Having ticked off 2 of the 4 Camra British Beer Guide 2013 pubs in Dundee before the game I headed to The Counting House, a large Wetherspoons on the corner of Reform Street. Very standard 'spoons pub, busy with a couple of decent ales on as to be expected. My blackberry had died so I took the opportunity and used their electricity while I drank my pint. 3 down 1 to go and the one I saved for last was the Bank Bar on Union St, with this being closest to the station it gave me time to have a pint before grabbing some food for the journey. A cracking little pub the Bank Bar, full of character and definitely worth popping in for a pint in you're in Dundee!

The train arrived promptly at 18.43 and with my quarter pound cheese burger inside me I settled down for the journey back to Aberdeen. A swift 10 minutes walk back to the Premier Inn and within half an hour I was changed and freshened up ready for the first of the 4 pubs I wanted to do that evening.

The first of the 4 was the Old Blackfriars opposite the Archibald Simpson from earlier. Food orientated pub that had a decent acoustic guitarist playing but he was rather drowned out by the chatter of the patrons. Next port of call the Prince of Wales tucked away down a side street off of Union Street. Another very good pub with plenty of real ale choice. 3rd pub of the night was Under The Hammer on North Silver Street, as the name suggests the name came about due to the pubs close proximity to an auction house, which is just above this basement bar. Very busy with standing room only and a couple of decent ales on tap.

The last pub of the evening and the 10th of the day was The Grill on Union St, the main drag through the centre of town. Strange looking bar from the outside as it looks closed but inside it was very much open and at 10.30pm on a Saturday night the place was heaving.

With my eyelids starting to close it was time for me to head back to the hotel as the day had been long and busy. Excellent day all told and tomorrow I was off to Pittodrie for the SPL game against Hibs.

Part 2 to follow....

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive