Saturday 15 September 2012

Bank Holiday non league double

After visiting another league ground on Saturday 25th August I decided that on bank holiday Monday I would tick 2 local non-league grounds off of my list.

Coventry City v Bury @ The Ricoh Arena was ground number 307 leaving me 16 league grounds to do, however with the list of non-league venues in the UK almost endless so is my list!

All games in the Sussex County league had been scheduled to kick off at 11.00am so I chose the local derby between East Grinstead Town and Lingfield at the GAC Stadium, East Grinstead. Having left home in the car at 09.30am I had a very clear run through to East Grinstead arriving at the ground an hour before kick off giving me plenty of time to bag a programme and get some snaps of the ground.



The GAC Stadium is a tidy ground with a very nice raised covered seating area which acts as the main stand down one side with the cleverly placed clear perspex dugouts down at pitch level allowing for the game to be perfectly viewed from the seats. To the left of this stand is a covered bank of concrete terracing, with uncovered concrete standing behind both goals and along the opposite side running he length of the pitch.

The game was a barnstormer with Lingfield running out 2-1 winners in a match that boasted 3 penalty's (2 conversions and 1 missed), a comical goal in the home teams favour after a horrendous error by Rob O’Hara in the away goal and the appearance of ex Premier league player Jamie Lawrence who as well as running a successful soccer school now turns out for Lingfield. Dixie Dean in the Lingfield hot seat obviously is doing something right as last season he had ex Premier league players Ian Pearce (Blackburn) and Nicky Forster (ex Reading and current Dover Athletic Manager) turning out for him.

I watched the game with Mishi a follow Dulwich Hamlet fan and part time ground hopper though as mentioned in a previous blog he'll swear blind he isn't a ground hopper...yeah right that's why he's visited over 600 odd grounds here and abroad and takes pictures at each of them!

With Dulwich Hamlet playing away at Crawley Down Gatwick as they are now known at 3pm just down he road I was torn between watching the Hamlet in a top of the table clash against heading towards home and taking in Crockenhill's game at a Kent League venue that has eluded me for some time mainly because it's a bit of a trek and not an easy one at that from the nearest train station in Swanley. Besides I went to Crawley Down in September 2011 for a fixture against Folkestone Invicta in their first season at the Ryman League Div 1 South level.

My journey back up the A22 and then onto the M25 was painless and I arrived at Asda's in Swanley to grab some lunch just after 2pm.

After scoffing my lunch in the car I headed off to Wested Meadow, which should only of been a 10 minute journey but I got lost twice. The first time I went towards the ground but decided I was going the wrong way only then to realise I had actually been going in the right direction in the first place and the ground was just further along the lane and on the left as I went straight past it before putting the anchors on sharpest.

Having parked up across the road as the car park was rammed I made my way into the ground. As I said earlier this ground has eluded me for a few years so today I was ready for the local derby with newly promoted Crown Alexandra. A team from Dartford who until this summer had been playing in the league below and even though they finished 8th last season they were promoted to the top tier of the Kent Invicta League.  

I have heard this ground described as idyllic in the past but to be honest today it just looks run down. A very old main stand with wooden seats sits in the middle of terracing either side along the side as you enter & this is the only shelter and seating in the ground. To the right of the main stand is one goal with no standing this is pretty much the same on the opposite side to the main stand. There is a small overgrown terrace that has clearly seen better days behind the other goal.



Both teams were sitting in middle table coming into this match but Crown started the much brighter and should have been ahead with the chances they had before Ryan Golding scored he's 6th goal of the season for the hosts. Crockenhill had one of the most annoying players playing in centre midfield that I think I have seen in a blinking long time, even though he was a very skilful player he was just a little sh*t that constantly took pleasure in complaining to the ref, winding up the opposing players and the small bands of supporters (more like friends) that had travelled to the game.

With the hosts leading at half time I retreated to the clubhouse that from the outside resembled more of an Anderson air raid shelter than a football teams clubhouse. Inside however the walls are adorned newspaper cuttings, photos and history of Crockenhill FC. The ceiling is covered with scarves and pennants from various league and non-league teams from around the country, very impressive this is to. I was particularly proud to see a Dulwich Hamlet scarf up there.

Back to the action and the 2nd half brought much of the same with Crown being the better footballing side but not taking their chances and being punished by a superbly taken free kick from just outside the 18 yard box for 2-0 to the hosts. Crockenhill could of added a 3rd as the game drew to a close but the effort whistled narrowly over the bar with the Crown keeper beaten all ends up.

In terms of chances taken 2-0 was certainly a fair result and I had seen another 5 goals in 2 games at 2 new grounds on the same day, I do like it when the local leagues use common sense and stagger their games on a bank holiday.   

After today's additions my list sits at 309 grounds in total and will remain at this number until at least the 8th September as I off to New York for a friends wedding though I will be watching the New York Yankees play the Toronto Blue Jays at the new Yankee stadium on Wednesday.

Til the next time....

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive