Sunday 28 April 2013

Worcester City 0-1 Guisley - 23/2/13

A much anticipated trip for me to St George's Lane, Worcester.  With Worcester City committed to leaving their home of 108 years this summer time was running out for me to get there before the bull dozers moved in.

I took the early (and cheap) train from Euston to Birmingham New St getting me into Birmingham just after 10.15am, ready for my connection to Worcester Foregate Street at 10.49. I had time to head into the Wetherspoons on Bennetts Hill, The Briar Rose. The pub was already busy with a mix of football fans and very early ladies who lunch as well as the usual 'spoons crowd.

A quick strong pint later and I was on board the train to Worcester. Off just after 11.30am I took a couple of charity shops in on my way to The Plough, the first of 4 pubs in the city I wanted to get to. From here it was next door to The Farriers Arms (not on my list), but a reasonable pub all the same. Next up was Eagle Vaults, a charming corner plot pub in the centre of town.

Pub number 4 was another on the list The Firefly, just the other side of the centre. A very decent brew pub with a great choice of ales but sadly lacking any customers. By now it was almost 1.30pm and time for lunch, the kebab / chip shop opposite the pub looked very inviting. A large helping of fish cake, saveloy and chips later and it was time for pub another 5. The Postal Order is an old style Wetherspoon's establishment in an ex sorting office, a cracking strong pint of Saddler's, Mud City Stout @ 6.6% certainly hit the spot...now it was time for the match.

Guisley were sitting 2nd in the table but the week before Blue Square Betting had paid out on Chester winning the league due to the gap being 19 points between top and 2nd. Worcester sat 9th but they were slipping down the table.


St George's Lane is an absolute gem of a non-league ground and I was purring with excitement as I paid my admission and entered this fantastic looking arena.




2 open ends 1 behind each goal, a long and very impressive Main Stand and a long open terrace opposite it with a large covered area in the corner




The game started with Guisley in the driving seat with the home defence being the busier trying to keep the irrepressable Lions at bay. Chances came and went with Guisley not being able to break the deadlock. Worcester were fairly toothless but did force a half chance towards the end of the first half.

I wandered around the ground snapping away and smiling to myself as I was so pleased to have seen this ground before the bull dozers came in.
Worcester City 0-0 Guisley @ half time, the crowd of 738 was announced as I retired beneath the main stand to the bar to keep out of the cold and read my programme.

For the 2nd half i decided to sit in the main stand and watch the action from there. St George's Lane really is a fantastic venue, really cannot believe within a couple of months it will be lost forever. A selection of unused Guisley players sat in front of me and were very vocal in their broad Scouse accents when decisions did not go their teams way, some good banter ensued between them and the locals.

This game looked increasingly likely to finish goal less as both teams started to get desperate with the hosts coming close of 2 occasions to breaking the deadlock. Then after a Worcester attack the Lions broke away with James Walshaw carrying the ball forward before unleashing a low shot into the Worcester net, 1-0 on89 minutes..what a way to end the match. Worcester looked heart broken but to be honest the goal had been coming and Guisley looked the stronger and more organised unit all match.

I headed back into town after my very enjoyable time at the ground and was a bit gutted that i had left it so long...my first stopping point was The Dragon Inn on The Tything. 4th and last beer guide pub in Worcester, had a pint finished reading my programme and then headed back into town. I grabbed a quick pint in the Horn & Trumpet, then a subway meal ready for the 18.16 train back to Birmingham New Street.

The train arrived on time and this allowed me around 45 minutes to visit The Post office Vaults just up from New Street station. A very decent under ground bar with a large amount of beers available including a very good German bottled selection.

My last stopping point for a pint after arriving into London slightly early was Mable's Tavern, a Shepherd & Neame pub which is located just off the Euston Road. By now it was gone 10.30pm and the day was taking it's toll on me. I drank up in time to catch the train back to Crofton Park and I was in doors by 11.30pm.

A very long day but rewarding, a new ground for me that is soon to be "lost", 6 new pubs from the beer guide and a rake of new beers...Til the next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive