Wednesday 18 July 2012

Villa victorious in Burton sunshine

I left home bang on 7.40am for my 7.45am to Elephant and Castle before changing for the St Albans train to St Pancras International, from here I walked to Euston station and got myself a sausage roll and a tea ready for the 9.03am to Brimingham New St.

The purpose of my trip today was to take in a game at the Pirelli Stadim in Burton on Trent and thus tick off one of my remaining 21 league grounds.

After a change at Rugby, I arrived at platform 1 of Tamworth low level station and made my way into town to visit one of their 2 Wetherspoon pubs. I arrived at The Silk Hat on Church Road after a short walk and had a very good local pint. An interesting spoons as this place used to be an old electrical store and still retains some Art Deco features.

I made my way back to the station to catch the 11.36 to Burton but the 11.09 to Nottingham was running late due to a vehicle hitting a bridge somewhere on route so I jumped on this to arrive into Burton at 11.45. I had picked my 6 pubs to visit and proceeded to the nearest one The Devonshire Arms which was just a few minutes walk away but already pretty full with the visiting Villa fans. I stood outside enjoying my pint of Stairway to Heaven from the Burton Bridge Brewery as being a small pub the standing space was at a premium.

From here I headed to the Coopers Arms on Cross St, but again being a very small pub the place was mobbed with Villa fans so I didn't stop for a pint as the q to the bar was about 9 deep!! The place  really does seem a gem and I will get there to enjoy a pint at some stage. After a wander round town looking in every charity shop I stopped at the Lord Burton (Wetherspoons) for a pint. Thankfully being a large ex Woolworth's and having a beer garden out the back service at the bar was swift and I managed to find a seat to chill for a bit.

I moved on from here after a pint as the pub I really wanted to visit was the Bridge Inn, the home of the Burton Bridge Brewery and it certainly did not disappoint. A cracking little pub with 2 separate seating areas but served by the same bar. I had 2 pints and scampi, chips and salad for lunch which was handsome. I really could of stayed here all afternoon but I had a new ground to tick off.

After a 15 minute walk I arrived at the Pirelli Stadium and duly proceeded to the club shop to collect my pre booked match ticket for the Main Stand.  I'm glad I took the trouble to call the ticket office and buy a ticket in advance as the seating area was sold out.  This being my first visit I was impressed by the set up the ex non league club have built for themselves with local help. It really is a tidy little set up and one that has obviously been lovingly bought into and I am glad they are a league club.


After picking up my ticket I headed inside to the Main Stand with around 15 minutes before kick off. The Villa contingent was growing behind the goal and there seemed to be a large amount in the Main Stand seats, these being the only seats in the ground. The game started and it was very clear that Paul Lambert was going to take this friendly seriously as he lined up with Robert Marshall, Ciaren Clark, Alan Hutton, Charles N'Zogbia and Darren Bent (Captain for the 1st half) in the starting X1. Burton also started with a first team heavy X1 including several new signings and it was one of these new signings Robbie Weir who struck first blood for the Brewers with a long range effort on 9 minutes that caught keeper Marshall unawares before nestling in the back of the net.

The game then ebbed and flowed with Villa gradually getting on top and N'Zogbia particularly menacing down the left flank. Unable to grab an equaliser it finally arrived just before half time when after work down the left the ball was drilled in and the unlucky centre half Holness slid the ball into he's own net. Half time 1-1.



After the rather amusing site of Villa fans fighting each other on the concourse at half time and a few arrests, I made me way back to my seat for the 2nd half. Both teams made considerable changes for the 2nd period and Villa changed their whole outfield leaving only Marhsall on the pitch to see the 90 minutes out. Villa's subs included Stephen Warnock, James Collins, Nathan Delfonso, Barry Bannan, Gabby Agbonlahor and new signing Holman.

Most of the 2nd half was played out in the Burton half as both Agbonlahor and Delfonso tormented the home defence that now included ex Aberdeen centre half Zander Diamond. Burton were restricted to a few chances and the winner duly arrived on 83 minutes when Holman was allowed too much time and space to pick he's spot and curl the ball into the bottom corner. 7 minutes later and the referee blew he's whistle to signal the end of a thoroughly entertaining pre season friendly.



I was booked on the 19.13 train from Rugby so I had time to stop in the Alfred on Derby Street on my way back to Burton station. Again the pub was filling up with Villa fans and after another good pint from the Burton Bridge Brewery I left for my connection back to Tamworth. On arrival into Tamworth I had time to walk up to the 'Spoons I missed earlier The Bole Bridge and have a pint before yet another train to Rugby to make my connection.

I eventually arrived into London Euston at 20.25 after a short delay in the Northampton area. A couple of train changes and an hour later and I disembarked at Crofton Park to driving rain and it made me think I had been in 2 different countries in the same day as the weather in Staffordshire couldn't have been any different to this!

A visit to the local take away later and I was sitting down with my Chinese ready for the David Haye / Derek Chisora fight at Upton Park live on Box nation.

Again I had travelled a long distance in one day to take in another new ground but it had been enjoyable and set me up perfectly for the season ahead.

On Friday 20th July I am off to Hamburg to take a couple of games in as well as new grounds and to play in a supporters match against FC Altona 93 for Dulwich Hamlet...both teams having been formed in 1893.

Til the next time

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive