Sunday 27 May 2012

My last game of the current season....

saw me arrive in Wood Green, North East London at Coles Park Stadium, the home of Haringey Borough FC.
Haringey had rented their ground to FC Romania of the Cherry Red Records Middlesex County League so they could complete their season against their visitors Willesden Constantine.
Having never been to Coles Park or seen FC Romania play before this was the perfect chance for another tick at my last game of the season. This was game number 66 for me and my 32nd new ground of the season.

A season that has seen me take in grounds from Palermo to Horley Town, Sheerwater to Scunthorpe United, surpassing the target I set for myself at the start of the season and including 6 leagues ground to get nearer to the 92!

The sun was shining and the temperature was threatening to hit 26°C in London when I left home just after 12.30pm for the journey to Wood Green via Highbury Corner with The White Swan (Wetherspoons) being my destination.  A couple of new ales sank & ticked off it was time to hit the tube network for Wood Green. 15 minutes and 1 change later and I was alighting into the sunshine in N22 on a busy shopping Saturday.
After a 20 minute wait for a W3 bus to Coles Park, I eventually arrived at 2.45pm ready for the 3pm kick off. A programme had been promised for this fixture so I wanted to make sure that I got one before all the "hoppers" took them, I missed the programmes but thankfully that well known Dulwich hopper "Mishi" had purchased one for me so on arrival I duly handed him my £2.00 for a well put together 12 page issue.


Haringey Borough have a nice little set up here and having had this one on my radar for a few season's I was glad I finally got here.


FC Romania sat 2nd in the table at the start of today's game, 12 points behind the leaders and in no danger of being ousted from 2nd spot while Willesden sat 4th. 
Kick off was prompt at 3pm and the sun was shining on all sides of this open ground, the game was played at a fairly relaxed pace with FC Romania doing the early pushing as you would expect and taking a 2-0 lead at half time with the giant Romanian goalkeeper mainly a spectator. 
A trip to the bar at half time and a £2.00 can of strongbow later and it was time for the 2nd half, which started with the hosts scoring again to make it 3-0.
Then the fight back started, after a passage of play in the middle of the park Willseden forced a corner, from which they scored their 1st goal, less than 10 minutes later and they had another, a cracking finish into the top corner. A few of us were beginning to think this could be heading for a 3-3 draw when a 3rd was put in to really give the game a grand stand finish. Unfortunately a defensive mix up and a goalkeeper error was punished by the Romanians and they grabbed the winner in the 93rd minute from close range.
A great 2nd half played in the right spirit on this very warm day and 7 goals to boot!

An enjoyable afternoon of football in the sun in N22 and as mentioned another new tick for me bringing the season to a close until 14th July when I am booked on a train bound for Burton on Trent for the pre-season friendly between Burton Albion & Aston Villa. Next season I am planning to complete the 92, but wether this happens depends on me and me solely so hopefully a year from now I would finally have completed the 92 !

Enjoy the summer and let's hope England don't disappoint too much in the Euro's...but I don't expect too much from Woy's Boy's, though last nights win in Oslo was a big positive.

Til the next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive